Affiliate link disclosure – The BMW Repair Guide uses affiliate links in their site. For more information on affiliate links, please click here.
This article gives detailed instructions on replacing the battery in a BMW X2 F39 vehicle. Even though we used a 2018 X2 to perform this repair, this article can be applied to any X2 SUV with minor modifications to the repair steps.
See all vehicles this article applies to
F39 X2 Series X2 20iX
F39 X2 Series X2 18i
F39 X2 Series X2 20i
F39 X2 Series X2 25i
F39 X2 Series X2 25iX
F39 X2 Series X2 28i
F39 X2 Series X2 28iX
F39 X2 Series X2 16d
F39 X2 Series X2 18d
F39 X2 Series X2 18dX
F39 X2 Series X2 20d
F39 X2 Series X2 20dX
F39 X2 Series X2 25dX
F39 X2 Series X2 M35iX
A BMW X2 battery replacement is an easy repair for the home mechanic with average abilities.
One of the more common repairs the savvy home mechanic can perform that can save a lot of money and an annoying trip to the dealership is replacing their own car battery. This holds especially true for 2017-2023 BMW X2 SUVs...replacing your own battery is relatively simple and can be done conveniently in your driveway.
The battery in the X2 is covertly located under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment near the firewall. This location has been known to confuse X2 owners and enthusiasts since BMW is famous for conveniently locating their batteries in the rear of the vehicle to achieve optimal balance and handling.
A BMW X2 battery replacement takes under an hour. You can use any brand of battery from your local auto parts store to complete this repair. Please see step two in the repair steps below on how to ensure you get the correct battery before purchasing. We have included easy step-by-step instructions below and a handy video for your convenience.
If the video does not appear below, please click here to view
View the video version of this repair.
View the detailed parts diagram for this repair.
Includes detailed part diagrams, part numbers and links to purchase all of the required components needed to complete this repair.
Section 2 - BMW X2 battery removal stepsAs previously discussed, the battery in 2017-2023 X2 vehicles is located in the rear of the engine compartment on the right side of the SUV...not in the trunk. To access and extract the battery, several trim pieces need to be removed so the mounting clamp that secures the battery to the body of the vehicle can be accessed. The battery mounting clamp is located at the front of the battery...do not try and force the battery out of the engine without removing the mount.
- Locate the red positive battery terminal cover in the engine compartment of the X2. Carefully remove the plastic cover that protects the top of the battery and remove it from the vehicle.
- Before continuing with the removal, use your phone to take a photo of the top of the existing battery so you have the exact specifications for it. Use a tape measure to measure the width of the battery as shown below. using this information, go to your local parts store and match the existing battery as closely as possible.
- Using a trim removal tool, remove the two plastic rivets securing the rear engine trim to the vehicle's body. Remove the trim from the engine compartment.
- Remove the bolt from the right strut brace using a 16mm socket wrench. Carefully push the brace back out of the work area.
- Using a 10mm socket, remove the rear positive battery cable from the battery. Cover the cable with a rag to prevent short-circuiting the battery.
- Using a 13mm socket, remove the peripheral connections from the top of the positive battery terminal. Use a 10mm open-end wrench to remove the positive terminal from the battery and cover it with a rag.
- Using a 13mm socket with a long extension, remove the two bolts securing the front plastic battery shroud to the body of the engine compartment.
- Using a 10mm socket, remove the two bolts securing the left strut cross brace.
- While gently pulling the cross brace back, remove the plastic battery shroud from the vehicle.
- You now have clear access to the front battery clamp. Using a 13mm socket, remove the front battery clamp from the vehicle.
- The battery can now be grasped and removed from the engine compartment. Install a new battery following the above steps in reverse.
- Since the BMW X2 has an intelligent battery sensor (IBS), you will need a diagnostic scanner to register the battery. Battery registration is recommended to get the full life out of the new battery and avoid any error messages on the dashboard.
KBMW X2 Battery Replacement Finished