Affiliate link disclosure – The BMW Repair Guide uses affiliate links in their site. For more information on affiliate links, please click here.
This article gives detailed instructions on replacing the tail light bulbs in BMW X2 F39 vehicle. Even though we used a 2018 X2 to perform this repair, this article can be applied to any X2 SUV with minor modifications to the repair steps.
See all vehicles this article applies to
F39 X2 Series X2 20iX
F39 X2 Series X2 18i
F39 X2 Series X2 20i
F39 X2 Series X2 25i
F39 X2 Series X2 25iX
F39 X2 Series X2 28i
F39 X2 Series X2 28iX
F39 X2 Series X2 16d
F39 X2 Series X2 18d
F39 X2 Series X2 18dX
F39 X2 Series X2 20d
F39 X2 Series X2 20dX
F39 X2 Series X2 25dX
F39 X2 Series X2 M35iX
Replacing the tail light bulbs in your BMW X2 is a simple repair that will save you an expensive trip to the dealership.
The tail light on BMW X2 F39 SUVs is actually comprised of two separate assemblies: an outer side panel that contains the turn signal and brake light and an inner trunk lid panel that contains the reverse light and interior tail light bulbs. Both can be easily accessed from the rear of the vehicle and the bulbs can be replaced in minutes.
Please be aware that the brake light bulbs on X2 vehicles are an integral part of the outer tail light and cannot be replaced - if the tail light bulb is out on your X2 the entire outer tail light assembly must be replaced (please see our parts list and repair steps below for more details).
If the video does not appear below, please click here to view
View the video version of this repair.
View the detailed parts diagram for this repair.
Includes detailed part diagrams, part numbers and links to purchase all of the required components needed to complete this repair.
Section 1 - Removing and replacing the X2 tail light bulbsAs discussed above, the BMW X2 tail light bulbs are very simple to replace. The outer tail light assemblies which house the brake light and turn signal bulbs are simply held in place with two 10mm nuts. The inner tail light assembly houses the reverse and tail light - its bulbs are simply removed just using your fingers. The brake lights on the BMW X2 are an integral part of the tail light - the bulbs cannot be replaced. If the brake lights are malfunctioning the entire tail light assembly must be replaced (see our parts list above for more information).
- Use a trim removal tool to remove the plastic rivet securing the tail light trim panel to the body of the vehicle.
- Using a 10mm socket wrench, remove the two nuts anchoring the outer side tail light assembly to the body of the vehicle.
- Grasp the outer tail light assembly and pull it free from the body of the X2.
- If you are replacing the turn signal bulb, simply turn the socket and remove the bulb from the housing. If the brake light bulb has failed, unplug the electrical connector and replace the entire assembly (see parts list above).
- Use a trim removal tool (or your fingernails) to open the plastic cover on the rear of the tailgate that conceals the inner tail light socket.
- Pinch in the three locking tabs and pull the socket free from the inner tail light.
- The upper reverse light and lower tail light bulbs are easily removed by turning them gently until they release from the socket.
BMW X2 Tail Light Bulb Replacement Finished