Affiliate link disclosure – The BMW Repair Guide uses affiliate links in their site. For more information on affiliate links, please click here.
This article gives detailed instructions on replacing the daytime running light bulbs (angel eyes) in BMW X2 F39 vehicles with the LED headlight assembly. Even though we used a 2018 X2 to perform this repair, this article can be applied to any X2 SUV with minor modifications to the repair steps.
See all vehicles this article applies to
F39 X2 Series X2 20iX
F39 X2 Series X2 18i
F39 X2 Series X2 20i
F39 X2 Series X2 25i
F39 X2 Series X2 25iX
F39 X2 Series X2 28i
F39 X2 Series X2 28iX
F39 X2 Series X2 16d
F39 X2 Series X2 18d
F39 X2 Series X2 18dX
F39 X2 Series X2 20d
F39 X2 Series X2 20dX
F39 X2 Series X2 25dX
F39 X2 Series X2 M35iX
A BMW X2 daytime running light LED bulb replacement is a very simple repair for any owner or the home mechanic.
Please note that the BMW X2 is manufactured with two different styles of headlight assemblies - halogen and LED. This repair article is for the LED version only.
The daytime running lights (also known as angel eyes) on all X2 vehicles are actually LED light modules attached to the top of the headlight assembly. Even though the LED light modules have a very long service life and should last many years before they fail, they do contain sensitive electronics that can be damaged.
The number one cause of failure in BMW X2 daytime running lights is moisture infiltration into the headlight assembly. Other causes of a failed LED angel eye include front-end vehicle impacts and normal wear and tear from years of driving.
Replacing the BMW X2 daytime running light LED modules is a very simple repair, even for the owner with limited mechanical ability. Each headlight assembly contains two LED angel eye modules - an outer and an inner ring. They are held simply in place by three torx screws and are easily accessible from the front of the vehicle. We give full step-by-step instructions below along with a video and parts list for your convenience.
If the video does not appear below, please click here to view
View the video version of this repair.
View the detailed parts diagram for this repair.
Includes detailed part diagrams, part numbers and links to purchase all of the required components needed to complete this repair.
Section 1 - Replacing the BMW X2 daytime running lightsAs discussed above, replacing the daytime running light LED modules on your X2 is a very easy repair that takes less than 10 minutes per headlight assembly. Use care when handling the new LED modules...they contain sensitive electronics that are easily damaged if dropped.
- Open the hood and locate the LED daytime running light modules on the top of the left and right headlight assemblies.
- In order to remove the outer LED module, the inner fender trim must be removed. Using a trim removal tool, pry the center of the four plastic rivets that anchor the trim to the body of the vehicle as shown below.
- Use a metal pick to carefully remove the base of the plastic rivets from the body of the vehicle. Remove the trim from the engine compartment.
- Using a T20 "T-handle" torx bit, remove the three screws anchoring the outer LED module to the top of the headlight assembly.
- Remove the three screws anchoring the inner LED module.
- Pull the modules free and disconnect their electrical connections.
- Replace the two BMW X2 daytime running lights LED modules and reassemble following the above steps in reverse.
BMW X2 Daytime Running Light LED Bulb Replacement Finished